The beginning of the story
I don't exactly know when it all started. May be it was after I read a few blog posts some days ago, or may be we just want to link something to a particular event while the idea was actually already dormant in my mind for some time... but I decided I wanted to attract That Person to read my blog page, and suddenly I knew how.
I started crafting a page title to be also used as anchor text; I added a subtitle carved as I was going to tell a story - I wanted to tell a story - and I was ready to launch the experiment.
Dissecting a title and the psychology behind it
What makes of a title a good link bait? Take this blog post for example, let's try dissecting together what happened.
What about the title attracted you most?
- Was it the word "link"?
If you are involved in link building, that could be an heads-up
- Was it the word "Visitor"?
- Was it the word "drove"?
Both the cases above might rise your attention if you care about inbound marketing, SEO, SEM, Conversion Rate...
- Was it the capitalization of the words "That" and "Visitor", creating a natural curiosity?
- Or was it the way it all title words were crafted together?
- Or were you attracted by the story-telling style subtitle / meta-description?
What we just outlined are all elements to be considered when targeting a title. That's were I started from when I wanted a pitch for That Person.
Who The important Person is
So, was it indeed the natural curiosity driving you here, after all?
If you read up to here, you need to be rewarded, so:
No, I didn't trick you at all. Thinking that would imply something false. You are important, and I care you visiting this page.
Now, I hope to rightfully have boosted your ego, you deserve it. So do me a favor: take another link on this site, so that I can lower the bounce rate.
You have plenty of choices that might appeal you:
- If you are into Search Traffic, SEO, SEM, CRO, marketing... you can check this blog, Search Arena
- If you are a brilliant SEO Professional, you could test this new professional SEO suite, now in free beta
- If you are a SEO blogger, you can be one of the first to review Visual SEO Studio (see Getting Started)
- If you want to look into the face who is playing these link building games, you can know the chap
- or you can click any other internal link and see where your now proved curiosity can lead you
And YOU, are YOU too planning something similar, now?